Built upon consultations with policymakers, technical experts, and Indigenous Peoples representatives from Africa, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Caribbean, the guidance note aims to support policymakers in accelerating short-term climate actions in the land sector to facilitate their countries’ long-term strategic efforts to achieve net-zero emissions.
This guidance also provides recommendations on how to identify and implement feasible, short-term actions in the land sector that simultaneously contribute to short-term and long-term climate mitigation goals.
The recommended actions in the guidance are organized into the following five “building blocks”:
- cross-sector collaboration;
- socially inclusive and gender-responsive stakeholder engagement;
- institutional, technical, and knowledge capacity-building measures;
- monitoring, data, and target-setting improvement; and sufficient and
- appropriately distributed finance.