Share of global GHG emissionsBased on data from Climate Watch (CAIT 2018), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2019), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2020), developed by UNDP.
Conditional emissions reduction target by 2030
(compared to business as usual)The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
The Gambia submitted its updated NDC in September 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- With its first NDC, The Gambia was one of a few developing countries with a conditional target to lower emissions.
- Building on this, and guided by the aspiration to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050, the country conducted a review of circular economy opportunities and applied a more comprehensive approach to their second NDC.
- The Gambia extended the sectoral coverage to include all greenhouse gas emissions, including forestry and waste.
- The adaptation section was also strengthened, including for vulnerability analysis, envisaged adaptation action and financial needs.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in The Gambia:
April 1, 2022
Latest UpdatesSee all
29 countries in the Africa region submitted more ambitious climate pledges in 2021 with support from Climate Promise.
UNDP’s Sahel Offer – A Regeneration – is a $3.6 billion programme, which focuses on three main areas Governance, Energy and Youth, which are the…
At UNDP, based on our comparative advantages, we offer to focus on three key development catalysts – Governance, Renewable Energy and Youth, to…
Latest PublicationsSee all
This report is the result of a comprehensive analysis of resource flows and their impact on the quality of natural assets in The Gambia.