Share of global GHG emissionsBased on data from Climate Watch (CAIT 2018), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2019), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2020), developed by UNDP.
Unconditional emissions reduction target by 2030
(compared to baseline scenario)The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
Lao PDR submitted its revised NDC in May 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Lao PDR raised ambition in its revised NDC with an unconditional emission reduction target of 60% by 2030, relative to the baseline scenario.
- The country strengthened mitigation measures in the forestry and energy sectors and applied gender equality perspectives while revising the NDC.
- The adaptation component was also expanded and a National Adaptation Plan is currently in development.
- The revised NDC references circular economy as a key instrument to pursue a low carbon development pathway.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Agriculture, forestry, and other land use
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Lao PDR:
January 13, 2022
27 countries in Asia Pacific submitted more ambitious climate pledges in 2021 with the support of Climate Promise.