Share of global GHG emissionsBased on data from Climate Watch (CAIT 2019), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2020), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Conditional emissions reduction target by 2040
(compared to business as usual)The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
Malawi submitted its updated NDC in July 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Under its updated NDC, Malawi adopted absolute economy-wide targets for cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 2040 : 6% unconditional, plus a further 45% conditional on support.
- The updated NDC also provides a detailed implementation plan for mitigation and adaptation actions, covering all priority sectors, including the Energy, Industrial processes and product use, Agriculture, forestry and other land use, and Waste sectors for mitigation.
- It also includes guidelines for mainstreaming the NDC into sectoral policies and strategies, and a framework for measuring and reporting on NDC progress.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Biodiversity, tourism, culture and wildlife
- Disaster risk reduction and early warning systems
- Human health
- Social protection and gender
- Water resources and supply
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Malawi:
January 25, 2023