Share of global GHG emissionsExtracted from the CAIT Climate Data Explorer (2020), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2021), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Nepal submitted its second NDC in December 2020.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Nepal’s second NDC has set activity-based and policy targets in key areas that it aims to achieve by 2030.
- Nepal's second NDC is more ambitious in terms of its sectoral coverage (Energy; Industrial Processes and Product Use; Agriculture, Forestry, and Other Land Use; and Waste/Sanitation), and contribution, given the strengthened policy measures and update on sectoral targets, which will contribute to cumulative emission reductions.
- For the first time, the country has committed to achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2045.
- Nepal plans to develop an Action Plan for integrating Gender Equity and Social Inclusion in achieving NDC targets.
- All 753 local governments will prepare and implement climate-resilient and gender-responsive adaptation plans by 2030.
- Nepal’s revised National Climate Change Policy in 2019 highlights adaptation priorities and actions that aims to build a climate resilient society.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Disaster risk management
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Nepal:
November 24, 2023
Despite facing adversities, young people continue to be at the forefront of climate action, raising hopes and inspiring change.
Latest PublicationsSee all
A progress report on the Japan-funded project being implemented in 23 countries and territories under the Climate Promise initiative.