Share of global GHG emissionsBased on data from Climate Watch (CAIT 2019), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2020), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Conditional emissions reduction target, in an independence scenario, by 2040
(compared to business as usual)As per the State of Palestine’s First Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) “Updated Submission” from October 2021.
The State of Palestine submitted its revised NDC in October 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- The State of Palestine has increased its conditional greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets to 26.6% in an independence scenario and 17.5% in a status-quo scenario by 2040, compared to business as usual.1
- The revised NDC also includes conditional mitigation targets to generate 20-33% of electricity from renewable sources by 2040, improve energy efficiency by 20% by 2030, and increase total forest area by 2% each year until 2040.
- The revised NDC also includes plans to apply gender-responsive climate-smart agriculture approaches in 50% of farms by 2040.
- The State of Palestine intends to further develop NDC implementation action plans for priority sectors and cross-cutting priority activities that support all sectors, while exploring financing options, including private sector engagement and carbon markets.
1 As per the State of Palestine’s First Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) “Updated Submission” from October 2021.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Coastal zones
- Waste management
- Biodiversity and ecosystems
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Palestine (State of):
November 17, 2022
Latest UpdatesSee all
We spoke to Kishan Khoday, Regional Team Leader – Nature, Climate and Energy, about strategic priorities for countries in the region.
Addressing climate change can play an important role in preventing and mitigating health crises, with green solutions vital for recovery efforts.