The State of Palestine submitted its revised NDC in October 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- The State of Palestine has increased its conditional greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets to 26.6% in an independence scenario and 17.5% in a status-quo scenario by 2040, compared to business as usual.1
- The revised NDC also includes conditional mitigation targets to generate 20-33% of electricity from renewable sources by 2040, improve energy efficiency by 20% by 2030, and increase total forest area by 2% each year until 2040.
- The revised NDC also includes plans to apply gender-responsive climate-smart agriculture approaches in 50% of farms by 2040.
- The State of Palestine intends to further develop NDC implementation action plans for priority sectors and cross-cutting priority activities that support all sectors, while exploring financing options, including private sector engagement and carbon markets.
1 As per the State of Palestine’s First Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) “Updated Submission” from October 2021.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Coastal zones
- Waste management
- Biodiversity and ecosystems