Share of global GHG emissionsExtracted from the CAIT Climate Data Explorer (2020), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2021), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Emissions reduction target by 2030
(from the energy sector)The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
Panama submitted its revised NDC in December 2020.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Panama enhanced its mitigation ambition from the first NDC. It provided specific greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions targets for the energy and forestry sectors, committing a 24% reduction in total emissions from the country's energy sector by 2050 (and 11.5% by 2030), and the restoration of 50,000 hectares of forest by 2050 nationwide, compared to business as usual.
- The updated NDC adds specific objectives in several key areas such as management of watersheds, marine-coastal system, biodiversity, sustainable agriculture, livestock and aquaculture, resilient human settlements, public health, sustainable infrastructure and circular economy.
- It also includes a well-developed adaptation component in the format of an adaptation communication.
- The updated NDC presents a good integration with the Sustainable Development Goals.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Measurement, Reporting and Verification
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Panama:
November 21, 2023
Latest UpdatesSee all
Latest PublicationsSee all
This document presents for the first time an analysis of how National Voluntary Carbon Footprint Programmes (NVCFPs) should be implemented.