Share of global GHG emissionsBased on data from the CAIT Climate Data Explorer (2019), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2020), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
India has submitted its updated NDC in August 2022, to UNFCCC.
Key highlights from the NDC
- India has committed to reducing emissions intensity of its GDP by 45% by 2030.
- The updated NDC marks an important step towards achieving India’s long-term goal of reaching net-zero emissions by 2070.
- A new framework for transition to cleaner energy for the period 2021-2030 aims to increase green jobs, boost manufacturing of low emissions products such as Electric Vehicles and super-efficient appliances, and promote innovative technologies such as green hydrogen.
- The country committed to stronger adaptation targets. It will enhance investments in development programmes focused on sectors and areas vulnerable to climate change, particularly agriculture, water resources, health, disaster management, the Himalayas, and coastal regions.
- India will build capacities for quick diffusion of cutting-edge climate technology.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Coastal region and islands
- Disaster risk management
- Biodiversity and ecosystem
- Rural livelihoods security
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in India:
November 18, 2022
Latest UpdatesSee all
To avert catastrophe, we must now radically switch to a sustainable, net-zero future. This transition needs to happen fast, but it also has to happen…
EVs, coupled with clean energy, offer the greatest potential to reduce emissions in the transportation sector.
Cities are worst affected, with heat generated and then trapped by dense buildings.
Latest PublicationsSee all
Steps Ahead: Leveraging Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) to Achieve Net-Zero Emissions and Climate-Resilient Development
A progress report on the Japan-funded project being implemented in 23 countries and territories under the Climate Promise initiative.