Share of global GHG emissionsBased on data from Climate Watch (CAIT 2019), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2020), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Conditional emissions reduction target by 2030
(compared to business as usual)The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
Mauritania submitted its updated NDC in October 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Under its updated NDC, Mauritania raised its climate ambition with a new target to cut greenhouse emissions by 11% in 2030.
- With more substantial support, the country could ensure carbon neutrality and potentially reach a 92% reduction of its greenhouse gas emissions.
- As well as increased mitigation targets, Mauritania enhanced the adaptation component of its NDC, including the creation of green jobs.
- The NDC is intended to serve as a framework for consultation and dialogue to design transformative resilience programs that meet the needs of the populations and ecosystems affected climate change.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Ecosystem and biodiversity
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Mauritania:
December 1, 2022
Latest UpdatesSee all
Increasing climate resilience, enhancing social cohesion, and creating income and economic opportunities
29 countries in the Africa region submitted more ambitious climate pledges in 2021 with support from Climate Promise.
UNDP’s Sahel Offer – A Regeneration – is a $3.6 billion programme, which focuses on three main areas Governance, Energy and Youth, which are the…