Share of global GHG emissionsBased on data from Climate Watch (CAIT 2020), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2021), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Conditional emissions reduction target by 2030
(compared to business as usual)The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
Iraq submitted its revised NDC in October 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Iraq has increased its conditional mitigation target to 15% compared to business as usual in the updated NDC, from 13% in the initial NDC.
- In addition, the unconditional mitigation target was increased from 1% to 2%, compared to business as usual.
- The revised NDC specifies the need to install 12 GW of renewable energy power, including through private sector investments.
- US$100 billion are needed for investments to deliver the NDC mitigation targets and ensure transition to low-carbon economy.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Land use, land-use change, and forestry
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Iraq:
November 24, 2023
Latest UpdatesSee all
As the converging forces of climate change and conflict are reshaping development in the region, climate security has moved up the political agenda.
We spoke to Kishan Khoday, Regional Team Leader – Nature, Climate and Energy, about strategic priorities for countries in the region.