Niger submitted its updated NDC in December 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Niger enhanced its adaptation and mitigation ambition and updated its NDC based on new estimates in the Agriculture, forestry, and other land use and Energy sectors and new climate projections.
- The country committed to conditional mitigation targets for the Agriculture, forestry, and other land use sector of 14.60% by 2025 and 22.75% by 2030 compared to business as usual, and introduced unconditional contributions of 4.50% and 12.57% by 2025 and 2030 respectively for this sector.
- Niger also introduced an unconditional pledge to cut greenhouse gas emissions in the Energy sector by 11.20% by 2025 and 10.60% by 2030 relative to business-as-usual, as well as reductions conditional on support of 48% and 45% for the same target years.
- A gender study was conducted to gender mainstreaming in green jobs in the Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use and Energy sectors, and define adapted actions included in the NDC.
- The country developed a resource mobilization strategy to support the achievement of its NDC targets.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Water, fisheries and wildlife resources
- People's health
Latest UpdatesSee all
Located on the borders between the West African countries of Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger is the landlocked region of Liptako-Gourma.