Share of global GHG emissionsBased on data from Climate Watch (CAIT 2019), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2020), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Conditional emissions reduction target by 2030
CO2 eq/per capitaThe highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
Niger submitted its updated NDC in December 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Niger enhanced its adaptation and mitigation ambition and updated its NDC based on new estimates in the Agriculture, forestry, and other land use and Energy sectors and new climate projections.
- The country committed to conditional mitigation targets for the Agriculture, forestry, and other land use sector of 14.60% by 2025 and 22.75% by 2030 compared to business as usual, and introduced unconditional contributions of 4.50% and 12.57% by 2025 and 2030 respectively for this sector.
- Niger also introduced an unconditional pledge to cut greenhouse gas emissions in the Energy sector by 11.20% by 2025 and 10.60% by 2030 relative to business-as-usual, as well as reductions conditional on support of 48% and 45% for the same target years.
- A gender study was conducted to gender mainstreaming in green jobs in the Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use and Energy sectors, and define adapted actions included in the NDC.
- The country developed a resource mobilization strategy to support the achievement of its NDC targets.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Water, fisheries and wildlife resources
- People's health
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Niger:
December 1, 2022
Latest UpdatesSee all
UNDP-supported initiatives are linking environmental protection, inclusion, economic opportunities and peace in a region ravaged by climate change.
Increasing climate resilience, enhancing social cohesion, and creating income and economic opportunities
UNDP’s Sahel Offer – A Regeneration – is a $3.6 billion programme, which focuses on three main areas Governance, Energy and Youth, which are the…