Share of global GHG emissionsExtracted from the CAIT Climate Data Explorer (2019), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2020), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Timor-Leste submitted its first updated NDC in November 2022.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Timor-Leste’s updated NDC confirms the direction and priorities set out under its INDC while providing additional details and further specifying the different commitments and initiatives.
- The updated NDC recasts mainly four commitment areas: 1. climate risk governance; 2. nature-positive growth and transition; 3. low carbon development; and 4. climate change adaptation and resilience building.
- For mitigation, it maintains the original stance, refraining from setting a quantified emissions reduction target.
- It also mentions that a new reference level of baseline emissions will be established once the GHG inventory is formally established.
- The updated NDC includes the National Adaptation Plan, which provides the strategic framework for national adaptation priorities and implementation arrangements.
- It also commits to accelerating existing and new land tenure reform efforts over the 2021-2025 period in order to improve the enabling environment for nature-based solutions.
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Timor-Leste:
January 27, 2023
Around the world some 2.2 billion people lack safely managed drinking water, 4.2 billion people lack safely managed sanitation, and 700 million…