Share of global GHG emissionsExtracted from the CAIT Climate Data Explorer (2020), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2021), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Emissions reduction target by 2030
(compared to business as usual)The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
Ecuador submitted its first NDC in March 2019.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Ecuador considers its first NDC as an enhancement from the Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC). It was declared a State Policy in August 2019.
- Based on an aggregated analysis, it estimates an emissions reduction potential within the Energy, Agriculture, Industrial Processes and Waste sectors of 9% (unconditional scenario) and 11.9% (conditional scenario) compared to the 2025 baseline, aiming at a reduction of 20.9% if the conditional scenario is fulfilled.
- It also improved implementation strategies. In May 2021, the Government of Ecuador launched the Implementation Plan of the First NDC, guiding the implementation of mitigation actions and adaptation measures in the priority sectors of the National Climate Change Strategy 2012-2025.
- The NDC and its Implementation Plan were set up considering a participatory approach and mainstreaming the gender perspective.
- Currently, the country is strengthening conditions for climate finance budgeting and private sector articulation.
- Ecuador plans to present its second NDC in 2024.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Disaster risk management
- Human heritage
- Industrial processes
- Land use, land use change, and forestry
- Natural heritage
- Water heritage
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Ecuador:
November 21, 2023
Latest UpdatesSee all
The region is trying to secure the climate finance they will need in the coming decades through a mix of instruments and approaches.
Latest PublicationsSee all
This report features 19 countries where central, regional, and local governments have come together to work towards a national climate strategy.