Kenya

Africa
Previous Guinea-Bissau
Next Lesotho
0.15%
Share of global GHG emissions
Based on data from Climate Watch (CAIT 2018), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
#147
Climate Vulnerability Index ranking
A higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2019), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
#143
Human Development Index ranking
A lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2020), developed by UNDP.
32%
Conditional emissions reduction target by 2030
(compared to business as usual)
The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
NDC Status 

Kenya submitted its updated NDC in December 2020. 

Key highlights from the NDC 
  • Kenya has enhanced its overall target in the updated NDC with 32% greenhouse gas emissions reduction compared to the 30% target communicated in the first NDC.
  • While the first NDC was fully conditional on support, the updated NDC commits to mobilize domestic resources to meet 13% of the required budget and requires international support for the other 87%.
  • Kenya has also elaborated its adaptation component with new updated information on climate risk, impacts and vulnerabilities, and commits to mobilize domestic finance to fund 10% of total costs required for adaptation. It also highlights linkages with the national adaptation plan.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC 
  • Disaster Risk Management 
  • Agriculture
  • Forestry
  • Ecosystems
  • Coastal zones
  • Energy
  • Infrastructure
  • Water
  • Health
  • Settlement
  • Tourism 
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Kenya:

Last Updated

April 1, 2022

Latest Updates

See all
Young people and youth leaders from across Africa have the ideas, solutions and motivation to solve the climate crisis.
By diversifying their sources of income, these women farmers can better withstand the economic consequences of climate threats.
Japan became the first bilateral partner to fund the new re-afforestation and land restoration programme through the Climate Promise FLaRAK project.

Latest Publications

See all
Africa is a highly complex region – blessed with natural capital and biodiversity; home to 1.13 billion people, one-third of the world’s languages,…