Share of global GHG emissionsExtracted from the CAIT Climate Data Explorer (2019), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2020), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Emissions reduction target by 2030
(compared to BAU)The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
Colombia submitted its revised NDC in December 2020.
Key highlights from the NDC
- Colombia's revised NDC includes a more ambitious mitigation target of not emitting more than 169.4 MtCO2eq by 2030, equivalent to a 51% reduction in emissions from a revised 2030 reference scenario, as compared to a 20% reduction in the first NDC.
- It also improved an adaptation component from 10 to 30 multi-sectoral goals.
- The NDC embraces carbon neutrality by 2050 and includes a target to reduce black carbon by 40% in 2030 (below 2014 levels), a target to reduce deforestation to 50,000 ha/year by 2030, and a commitment to generate carbon budgets in 2023.
- It also contains a new and comprehensive analysis on gender, just transition, circular economy and impacts of COVID-19.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Biodiversity and ecosystem
- Settlement and infrastructure
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Colombia:
November 18, 2022
Transparency is at the heart of the climate emergency. Without it, we cannot move from planning to action, or win the fight against climate change.
With support from UNDP, countries across the region are advancing climate-resilient development to address the life-threatening challenges of climate…
Latest PublicationsSee all
The Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region is considered a “biodiversity superpower,” with one of the greatest endowments of natural capital in…