Share of global GHG emissionsExtracted from the CAIT Climate Data Explorer (2019), developed and maintained by the World Resources Institute.
Climate Vulnerability Index rankingA higher number means a higher vulnerability to climate change. Based on the ND-GAIN Index (2020), developed by the University of Notre Dame.
Human Development Index rankingA lower number means a better human development score. Based on the Human Development Index (2021), developed by UNDP.
Conditional emissions reduction target by 2030The highest emissions reduction target, conditional or unconditional, included in the country’s latest NDC.
Philippines submitted its first NDC in April 2021.
Key highlights from the NDC
- The Philippines commits to a projected greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction and avoidance of 75%, of which 2.71% is unconditional, for the period 2020 to 2030 for the sectors of agriculture, wastes, industry, transport, and energy. This commitment is referenced against a projected business-as-usual cumulative economy-wide emission of 3,340.3 MtCO2e for the same period.
- The forestry sector has not been included as an emitting sector because the Philippines has claimed to be a “net sink”. This is an improvement compared to the previous Intended NDC conditional target of 70% GHG emissions reduction by 2030, coming mainly from the energy, transport, waste, forestry, and industry sectors.
- On adaptation, the country is looking at measures across, but not limited to, the sectors of agriculture, forestry, coastal and marine ecosystems, biodiversity, health, and human security, to pre-empt, reduce and address residual loss and damage.
- The NDC also cited that the country will undertake equitable adaptation strategies with mitigation co-benefits and ensure their contribution to the national pandemic recovery.
Adaptation and resilience areas in the NDC
- Biodiversity and ecosystem
The Climate Promise is being delivered in collaboration with key partners. Thanks to our partners in Philippines:
November 18, 2022
Latest UpdatesSee all
27 countries in Asia Pacific submitted more ambitious climate pledges in 2021 with the support of Climate Promise.
Latest PublicationsSee all
A progress report on the Japan-funded project being implemented in 23 countries and territories under the Climate Promise initiative.